- The students will know the habitat, diet, life cycle, and special features of various owls.
- The students will read information and take notes about a given topic.
- Prior to doing the Kidspiration and internet activity the students watched United Streaming videos about owls.
- The students also read books and their science text.
- The students were paired and were asked to explore the owl website to learn about all different types of owls.
- Then they were to choose their favorite one and record information on the Kidspiration template.
- Each group got to share their poster and tell one fact they learned about their specific owl species.
Sunshine State Standards
- LA.A.1.1..2: The student identifies words and constructs meaning from text, illustrations, graphics, and charts using the strategies of phonics, word structure, and context clues.
- LA.A.1.1.3: The student uses knowledge of appropriate grade-, age-, and developmental-level vocabulary in reading.
- LA.A.2.1.1: The student determines the main idea or essential message from text and identifies supporting information.
- LA.A.2.1.5: The student uses simple materials of the reference system to obtain information.
- LA.B.2.1.3: The student uses basic computer skills for writing, such as basic word-processing techniques such as keying words, copying, cutting, and pasting; using e-mail; and accessing and using basic educational software for writing.
NETS Profiles for Technology Literate Students
- 3 Technology productivity tools
- 4 Technology communications tools
- 5 Technology research tools
- Computers with internet access
- United Streaming videos
- books and reference materials
- Students could have done other projects after learning about a specific owl such as making a poster, bookmark, drawing, etc.
- If you do not have access to United Streaming you can check the school library for owl resource material.