Webquest for the Puritan Period
Just as the Puritans embarked on a quest for freedom, you are about to embark on a quest for knowledge! During your journey, you will obtain information on Puritan perceptions, attitudes, values, and beliefs. In addition to answering the following questions, you will need to take Cornell notes during your quest to ensure that you have a thorough understanding of the Puritan Period. Hopefully, you will learn something new and interesting to share with the class.
Have your answer sheet beside you as you work on the questions below. Record all your answers on your sheet. You are restricted to the hyperlinks listed below. All necessary information will be found on the selected sites.
1) What were some of the Puritan s beliefs and values? What were the characteristics of Puritan government? What are some important contributions by Puritans?
2) What is predestination? What role did this play in Puritan society? Remember what you read in the above section.
3) How did the Puritans view education?
4) What was the tool Puritans used to teach their children? In addition to the alphabet, what else was taught using this tool?
5) What lead to the immigration of Puritans? How were the Puritan beliefs reflected in the laws of Massachusetts? Look in particular at the punishments. What other groups found refuge in the New World?